Saturday, April 12, 2014

Getting Rear Ended

Hey America,

As you know I love ZUMBA but last week I decided to try something different to start my week and it was beginner Yoga. When I went into Beginner Yoga I was thinking it would be a piece of cake and that I would take to it as easily as I took to Zumba. Lets just say…I did NOT. I kind of HATED it. It was super difficult and I was incredibly sore and basically wanted to drop kick anyone who even said the word Yoga. To be even more honest I gave up half way through class and decided to go "lift weights." Basically, I was looking for any excuse to get out of that stretchy breath controlled hell they deem as yoga. The whole experience was a nightmare. From the second my hands met the mat I was drenched with sweat. Seriously, my hands were sliding off the mat, mega gross. I left faster than you could say Namaste. This is where things got even worse. The next day my legs and arms felt like they had been hulk smashed mercilessly. That Tuesday I still attended my normal Zumba class and was in a lot of pain but still went for it. Well…. We were dancing to this rugged beat and jumping, bouncing, and jamming and suddenly POP. My knee… I popped it… It wasn't broken but it hurt like a mother. That ended up ruining the rest of my workouts for the week and I was only able to take one more class then had to sit it out. So, why am I telling you about my super annoying workout week. I mean isn't this supposed to be a fun uplifting blog? Nobody wants to hear about your weak old knees… What a creeper.

Well this past Monday I reluctantly decided that I would be trying out Yoga one more time… Very… VERY reluctantly. Anyways, this past Monday as I was on my way to the gym I was waiting at a red light to turn right and just as we were about to drive the car in front of me rear ended the car in front of them. It was very surreal and kind of annoying. Since I was the witness to this very minor accident I pulled over to the side of the rode with the other vehicles. My first reaction was to be mad about having to take time out of my schedule but then I realized it must be a sign from God that I shouldn't take that violent yoga class again. While waiting outside for a police officer to arrive the man who hit the other car and I began to make small talk. He noticed that I was very obviously wearing my gyn gear. He apologized profusely for having to delay my workout. I explained to him that I was on my way to take a class that I really had no desire to take in the first place. He told me I should still go and take my class. He obviously didn't see the clouds of heaven part like I did when he bounced into that vehicle in front of him. Anyways he starts telling me about some lady he likes on the radio and how she wrote some book about vulnerability and strength.  Basically I was sure at this point I was being inducted into a cult. Our conversation had turned from kind to creepy in a matter of seconds. The man kept talking about being vulnerable and told me that the book was saying that the most successful people in the world are the ones who make themselves vulnerable. He told me that we are all screwed up in some way or another and thats where being vulnerable comes into play. I stood there smiling awkwardly awaiting a squad car to arrive while he carried on. Then the man looked right at me and said "just walking into Lifetime (my gym) is making yourself vulnerable and that is amazing." Those words struck me deep to the core. He began to tell me how proud he was of me for just going to the gym and how his wife won't even walk into a gym. He was so impressed by me, a complete stranger. These words changed my entire outlook on going to the gym. He made me feel like a success and like I could conquer the world. Honestly, I wanted to cry because of how much those words meant to me. Shortly after he said those amazing words to me a cop arrived, took my statement, and sent me on my way immediately. That was it. Just like that the man who probably said the most uplifting thing a stranger had ever said to me was gone, out of my life forever. When I drove away I drove straight to the gym and went to yoga (late). Last week I was only able to handle about 30 minutes of class well this week I was 15 late but stayed for the last 45 minutes. It was hard but I did it. I pushed myself because I didn't want to let that man down. He believed in me and had just met me.

Why did I tell you any of this? Because even though I was only the witness to the car accident I was emotionally rear-ended. My entire day, week, and probably life will be completely different just because I met this man. I wish I would've actually gotten his name because he made a real impact on me.

So my question to you this week is are you vulnerable? Are you willing to put yourself at risk and ridicule in order to accomplish your goals? Have you ever been emotionally rear-ended? Do you believe in yourself as much as others do?  Be vulnerable. Allow yourself to be changed. Be willing to try something more than once even if it seems really difficult the first time.

Thank you for reading,

Be true to you,

With Love,

Drew

vul·ner·a·ble
ˈvəln(ə)rəbəl/
adjective
1.
susceptible to physical or emotional attack or harm.






No comments:

Post a Comment